Buying a used boat is a serious stuff to consider. The conditions of life jackets, fenders, lines and many more, gives you information on how much the boat has been loved. These are a few tips to help you buy a good quality used boat.
- Cracks – Smaller cracks are usually noticeable near the screw areas such as handles, wind shields and gunwales. These cracks can be easily fixed. However, cracks more than 2 to 3 inches means serious problems. If you notice such big cracks, then you need to ask the owner about any serious accident that had happened previously.
- Seats – Due to rotten floors, seats can easily get damaged. Also, check the condition of the bolts of front and back seats in case of needing to be replaced.
- Electronics –Small wiring and battery issues are fine that can be easily fixed. But, in case if you notice issues like engine overheating or wires that are melted, then you need to reconsider the options of buying the boat.
- Belts – After a period of 100 hours, belts need to be changed. However, belts of power-steering that are worn or cracked mean major serious issues.
- Damage – If you see any signs of cracks, mould or moisture formed in the fiber glass or wooden areas, then it indicates rot in the stringers, broken fiberglass or delamination of plywood.
- Engine – The boats engine condition needs to be check for the noise, vibration or smoke. You also need to check whether the engine starts smoothly or in a rough manner. In case of loud engine noise, you need to check the condition of the cylinders.
If you’re looking to buy a used aluminium boat, then you may want to try from a few aluminium boat builders in Brisbane for a used one.